This old wooden building appears on the oldest maps of the area, and was probably built by Joshua Chauvet soon after he purchased Vallejo's mill in 1856. He began using it as his winery in 1874. When Charles Pagani built his cement block winery next to it in 1943, he retained as much of the building as he could.
History continued to be made here. In the 1970s a state-of-the-art recording studio was constructed inside this building that was used extensively by musicians busy making names for themselves for 25 years or so, from Janis Joplin and Van Morrison through the heavy metal productions of Kirk Hammett (of Metallica) to the laid back country sounds of Norton Buffalo.