The Pagani family is largely responsible for bringing the wine industry into the Twentieth Century. In 1943 Charles Pagani built this new winery as a companion to Chauvet’s old stone cellar.
The design of this building represented a major advance in the wine industry, and included large concrete fermentation vats to replace the redwood tanks commonly in use at that time. These great chambers can be seen along the hallway inside, with portholes for cleaning the vats between uses.
Norma Pagani still recalls crawling through them as a young woman, to scrub and wash down the interior walls, making sure a candle remained burning nearby to indicate there was no carbon dioxide building up to displace oxygen; she enjoyed the sound of her voice resonating as she sang while she worked.