We believe this piece of equipment represents the significant transition from the pioneers of the wine industry in the 19th Century to the commercial enterprise of wine making developing at the outset of the 20th Century.

This gear-driven vertical pump was apparently originally powered by steam, probably by one of the duplex piston steam pumps found elsewhere here in the Village. However, the plate welded at the front of the chassis indicates a later conversion to electricity, probably when Felice Pagani purchased the winery from Henry Chauvet in 1913.

As the mechanism worked, wine was driven by the pistons, found at the foot of the pump on each side, by the armatures as they rotated on the shaft at the top.